Research also shows that counseling tobacco users improves quit rates, and that tobacco counseling provided over the phone is as effective as counseling provided in person. The Maine Tobacco HelpLine provides tobacco users counseling by phone and when appropriate, provides medication support. Evaluation of the HelpLine has demonstrated that these services are effective. Tobacco users who receive support from the HelpLine are two to three times more likely to successfully quit tobacco long-term than those who try quitting on their own.
The Maine Tobacco HelpLine offers telephonic tobacco treatment services via 1-800-207-1230, 1-800-QUITNOW, or 1-855-DEJELO-YA (Spanish line). Tobacco Treatment Specialists provide evidence-based services using the Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence Clinical Practice Guideline (U.S. Public Health Service, 2008). Free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) is offered to eligible Maine residents, age 18 or older.
- Incoming Calls to the Maine Tobacco HelpLine: 10,332
- Provider Referrals to the Maine Tobacco HelpLine: 6,434
- Tobacco Users Registered for Services: 5,084
- Total Number of HelpLine Counseling Interventions: 9,504
- 88.7% of Counseling Interventions were part of the Multiple-Intervention Program
- 5,402 Nicotine Replacement Therapy Vouchers Authorized
Quit Rates (based on Maine Tobacco HelpLine Outcome Survey):
- Unassisted Quit Rate: 3%
- Overall Maine Tobacco HelpLine Quit Rate: 26%
- Quit Rate When Completing 4 or More HelpLine Calls and Using Medications: 40%