Throughout the year, CTI conducts free virtual trainings to support ongoing education in tobacco treatment, prevention and policy change. The CTI Training and Education Team offers a variety of webinars that allow you to earn continuing education credits and learn without leaving your desk.
2020-2021 Webinar Offerings:
Integrating Tobacco Use Interventions into the Treatment of Co-occurring Disorders
Session Complete: View Recorded Webinar
Date: September 15, 2020, 12-1pm Presenter: Edward Perka Jr, CASAC, ICADC, NCTTP – Tobacco Treatment Educator, MaineHealth Center for Tobacco Independence
This webinar addresses the challenges presented when treating patients with tobacco use disorder who also have a co-occurring substance use and/or mental health disorder. Topics covered include the prevalence and impact of tobacco use on people with co-occurring disorders, basics of neurobiology of mental health and substance use disorders, evidence-based tobacco treatment interventions, and pharmacotherapy.
Use of Tobacco & Nicotine Products in Maine: Identifying Opportunities for Action
Date: October 8, 2020, 12-1pm Presenter: Tim Cowan, MPH- MaineHealth
Earn 1.0 CME for participating
In this webinar, Tim Cowan will review data on past and current tobacco and nicotine use, and quitting behavior in Maine. He will use multiple frames of reference to help the audience identify where we have made progress in reducing use of tobacco and nicotine products and where we have not; data for both adults and youth will be presented. In turn, will help the audience identify opportunities for taking action to reduce the burden of tobacco dependence in Maine.
The Environmental Impacts of Tobacco and ENDS – The Damage Doesn’t End with Consumption
Date: November 4, 2020, 12-1pm Presenter: Shannon O’Brien, Maine QuitLink
Science shows that our environment is being depleted of its natural resources at a rapid rate. Science also show that tobacco and ENDS products are causing serious health issues. What happens when we combine both of these evidence-based findings? This webinar will showcase the environmental impact tobacco and ENDS products produce on a macro level. From littered beaches and polluted water sources to the use of single use plastic to deliver nicotine, this webinar will highlight what happens after a cigarette is extinguished or a single-use device is tossed, and how we can reduce our nicotine footprint for the planet.
2019-2020 Recorded Webinars
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), Tobacco Use and Trauma-Informed Treatment Approaches View Recorded Webinar
- What Can I Say? Crucial Conversations from the Maine Tobacco HelpLine View Recorded Webinar
- Tobacco Use Disorder and Serious Mental Illness: Considerations and Opportunities for Treatment View Recorded Webinar
- Smoking is Ruff on Pets and Children: Dangers of Secondhand Smoke View Recorded Webinar
- Introduction to Global Tobacco View Recorded Webinar
2019-2020 Webinar Series: ENDS- Local and National Perspectives on Prevention and Treatment
- Part 1: The Rise of E-Cigarettes: What Are They, Who’s Using Them and What Can We Do To Protect Youth and Young Adults? View Recorded Webinar
- Part 2: E-cigarette Cessation: State of the Science and Treatment View Recorded Webinar