Treating Tobacco Together: Essential Skills Training
*The Essential Skills Training title has been updated, though the training contains the same content and information as the formerly known Basic Skills Training.
Join other health professionals in this virtual training to learn more about nicotine addiction and how to integrate brief, evidence-based tobacco treatment interventions into current practice. The Essential Skills Training is open to all health professionals, prevention professionals, and community members who are interested in learning more about the burden of tobacco and strategies for intervention and treatment. Participation in the Treating Tobacco Together: Essential Skills Training is a required component for the National Certificate in Tobacco Treatment Practice Training Pathway.
The training sessions will include: tobacco prevalence, products and burden; the role of addiction in treatment and recovery; e-cigarettes and vaping; motivational interviewing; brief interventions; tobacco treatment medications; and relapse prevention and recovery.
Upcoming Training Opportunities:
- October 18, 20, 21, 2022: Essential Skills
- November 2, 2022: Essential Skills – Hybrid Version
- January 10, 11, 12, 2023: Essential Skills – Register
- February 1, 2023: Essential Skills – Hybrid Version – Register
- March 7, 8, 9, 2023: Essential Skills – Register
- May 9, 10, 11, 2023: Essential Skills – Register
Two Training Formats To Choose From:
The virtual Treating Tobacco Together: Essential Skills Training is offered in two different options. Both options have the same content but will be offered in different formats. Both options are approved for the National Certificate in Tobacco Treatment Practice. You only need to pick ONE of the options.
- Includes 3 days of training – approximately 2 hours of content per day.
- All sessions are live.
- Participation in all live sessions is required to receive CMEs/CEUs.
- Total of 6 CME/CEU credits.
- Register for an upcoming Essential Skills Training Session
- Includes 1 day of 3.5 hours of live training.
- Participants must complete six online courses before the live training day that will take approximately 4 hours total to complete.
- Participation in the live session as well as completion of the pre-work online courses is required to receive CMEs/CEUs.
- Earn a total of 6 CME/CEU credits.
- Register for an upcoming Essential Skills – Hybrid Training Session
The MaineHealth Center for Tobacco Independence administers tobacco treatment trainings on behalf of the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Maine CDC), Maine Department of Health and Human Services.