Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body, causing many diseases and affecting the health of smokers in general. Quitting smoking has immediate as well as long-term benefits for you and your loved ones.
Understanding the burden of tobacco use and exposure in Maine:
- 19.5% of Maine adults currently smoke cigarettes.
- 57.3% of current Maine adult cigarette smokers made a quit attempt in the past year.
- 13.9% of Maine High School students smoked cigarettes, cigars or used smokeless tobacco in the last month.
- 15.3% of Maine High School students used an electronic vapor product in the last month.
- 32.5% of Maine High School students live in a home with at least one person who smokes.
- 22.8% of Maine Middle School students reported being in the same room as someone smoking in the last seven days.
- Maine Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2015
- Maine Integrated Youth Health Survey, 2017